Saturday 19 July 2014

Healthy Breakfast Cheesecake-not-Cheesecake


A couple of weeks ago, before I went on holiday, I was feeling rather hungry (as always) and the amount
of food we had in was limited. Mum wanted us to use it all up before we left which me and my sister
dutifully obliged to, being the good, forever ravenous teenage daughters that we are.

Now my first thought was 'I want to make flapjack' which seemed rather pointless in retrospect
because making flapjacks didn't require use of any of the ingredients that we needed to use up. However
with me being the annoyingly creative, inventive person that I am, the idea of making flapjack,
no matter how much I love them, seemed tediously simple and boring. Whenever I'm in the kitchen I
simply cannot make dishes or food as they are meant to be made. I always have to put my own spin on it, and that's what happened with the flapjack idea.

I began thinking about the process of making flapjack, which then made me realise it was similar to making
the base of a cheesecake out of biscuits, which then made me think of double cream and cream cheese
which theeeen made me think of the plain yoghurt and fruit that needed to be used up in the fridge,
and then BAM. Idea strikes. I would use the framework and principles of making a cheesecake but see if
it would work with a flapjack base and plain yoghurt instead of cream and cream cheese!

So I hope you enjoyed that little insight into my thought process, and now I'll tell you how I made my
little cheesecake-not-cheesecake that as we realised is perfect to be made the night before and eaten for
breakfast the next morning, taken as a slice into work for lunch or for snacking throughout the day
(cos it's healthy!)  or even pudding. 

It's so versatile and me and my sister hoovered it up intently (the photo above is the one I made!)
and if you find yourself making this I hope you do too!

*FYI I don't use measurements... ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEALTHY BREAKFAST CHEESECAKE-NOT-CHEESECAKE

You will need...

1
Get a circular baking tray that you would normally use to make a cheesecake.

2
In a small to medium sized saucepan melt two-three table spoons of honey. Any type of honey will
do and you want just enough to stick the oats together but add a little more if you prefer a stickier consistency. Once melted fill the saucepan with oats (it doesn't matter what brand!) to about half way
and mix with the honey. If it looks like more oats could be added then do so- remember you're
aiming for a flapjack-esque consistency.

3
Allow the mixture to cool slightly for a minute and then pour into the baking tray and pat with a knife
till the surface is relatively smooth and evenly covered. You want it to be at least 1cm thick however
if you prefer it even thicker or your oat and honey mixture doesn't cover the tray, produce more of
the oat and honey mixture in the saucepan and add to the baking tray when ready.

4
 Put the tray in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour so that the base firms slightly.
When you are happy with the base texture remove from the fridge and apply natural/plain yoghurt
across the flapjack surface. The more you add the thicker the consistency will be therefore apply enough
yoghurt until you've reached your preferred thickness.

5
Now's the fun part. Decorate the yoghurt topping with any fruit or seeds you like. I used berries
which are in season right now and taste deliciosa, and pumpkin seeds, however any fruit or seeds should
work just as well. If you want to be naughty, you could use chocolate chips, sauces, biscuits, sweets...
The possibilities are endless!

6
 Place the baking tray in the fridge and leave it for a while.
The sooner you take it out, the more runny the yoghurt will be which is fine if that's how you want
your cheesecake-not-cheesecake to be, however I would recommend leaving it in the fridge for as long
as possible as it gives chance for the yoghurt to firm and thicken, making it even more like a 
real cheesecake (yum).

7
 When you're happy take the baking tray out of the fridge, grab a few bowls and spoons
and share with family and friends or scoff it all yourself, which is dangerously easy to do (trust me,
been there, done that).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you make it and enjoy it, please let me know!
It would be lovely to hear back from you guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...