Monday 3 August 2015

Fleetwood Mac, Top Ten Favourites



FLEETWOOD MAC, TOP TEN FAVOURITES

Since I was young I've always been vaguely aware of who Fleetwood Mac were, or I assume I must've done seeing as upon growing older, songs like 'Go Your Own Way' and 'Dreams', taken off their most famous and successful 1977 album 'Rumours', sounded so comfortingly familiar to me. The kind of music that peppers your youth and forever onwards draws you right back to those wonderful, nostalgia rich times. I didn't properly discover Fleetwood Mac for myself though, till the songs from 'Rumours' appeared in an episode of Glee a few years ago now. The first few seasons of Glee were a fantastic way of exposing my generation to the amazing music of artists we otherwise might not have discovered, or shunned instead, believing them and their music to have absolutely no relevance to us. And to this day I'm still so grateful to the show for doing that, because Fleetwood Mac in particular left an imprint on me after that episode. Something about their music intrigued me, it was a sound that I hadn't been exposed to previously in my exploration of music, and it was the kind of sound that I realised I had been longing to hear. The kind of music Fleetwood Mac make is so original, distinctive, a unique and dazzling blend of so many genres that can never be replicated and it holds such an important place in the history of music. Some artists and their music, as good as it is, are easily forgotten, their mark only slight. Fleetwood Mac are none of those things; they're always going to be remembered because their mark and influence upon the music industry has been so substantial, powerful, integral.

As I've grown older, and I start my venture into adulthood, the music of Fleetwood Mac has started to become increasingly important to me, and seems to be what I automatically turn to when I need help making sense of this journey I'm on. I'm not sure why I began turning to Fleetwood Mac, but gradually it's becoming more and more often, as I find more and more solace, inspiration, comfort in their music. And I already know that this period in my life will be my 'Fleetwood Mac era', just like there was a 'Jonas Brothers era' when I was a teenager, a 'McFly' era when I was leaving primary school, an 'Arctic Monkeys era' when I was leaving secondary school. I will hear their music and remember this time, how I felt, what I did, who I was. It always seems to fit how I'm feeling these days, throughout the good and the bad, and I just adore sitting down with my headphones on and listening to a bit of Fleetwood Mac. They always seem to have a way of blowing my mind with their magnificent talent when it comes to music, and I like how I find what I need right now emotionally in their music, because a lot of new music today, great as it is, doesn't have the same emotional sophistication infused within the lyrics and music. So we have to look to the music that's already out there to find what we need, people who have already felt these things we feel, experienced what we're beginning to experience now, and come out on the other side. And I've realised lately that that's not a bad thing, because I know for me personally finding these endless realms of music to be out there existing, ready for me to discover, when I'm struggling to relate to a lot of the new music I hear these days, is actually quite comforting. Plus discovering the super sassy, infinitely cool, ridiculously talented Stevie Nicks when I began to get into Fleetwood Mac has been something of a massive help and inspiration to me too. 

So because I've been getting so into the mighty Mac lately, as well as older music in general, I decided that I wanted to share some of my favourite songs of theirs with you lovely people. I wanted to virtually document this time in my life, because sometimes my blog feels like an open journal of my life. Even now when I look back on old posts or those from even a month ago, it's so nice to remember how I was feeling or what I was loving at the time, because life seems to be racing by so fast that it's easy to forget these things. Plus it's just nice to see how much I've developed as a person since, pinpoint my progression and journey through life. So to commemorate my 'Fleetwood Mac' era, which will probably be lasting for a while to come, after a long time spent deciding I would love to share with you my top ten favourite Fleetwood Mac songs, and I hope they might end up meaning something to you too. 



1. Landslide, Rumours

2. Seven Wonders, Tango In The Night

3. Silver Springs, The Dance

4. Say You Love Me, Fleetwood Mac (The White Album)

5. Dreams, Rumours

6. Go Your Own Way, Rumours

7. Say You Will, Say You Will

8. Everywhere, Tango In The Night

9. Second Hand News, Rumours

10. Don't Stop, Rumours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...